Saturday, March 28, 2009

Need A Major?



I personally didn't pick my major until the last day of finals during my spring semester of freshmen year. It was probably one of the hardest decisions of my life, but I finally ended up choosing English for a few reasons: I love to write, I love to read, and I love proofreading. I'm a minor grammar freak, so it's common for other students to e-mail me their papers in an attempt to get a better grade. It's what I want to do with my life, and I'm glad I finally realized it.

How will you pick your major?
Well don't worry too much, you don't really need to pick your major until the end of your sophomore year. You'll be taking a lot of general education classes if you're undecided, and that will help you pick out a major.

If you want to pick something before you move out to college, then just think about what classes you liked a lot or did very well with in high school. Also think about what clubs you were in. Think about what you love doing, and what you want to end up doing with your life.

Internships
They're like the greatest thing ever. Seriously. If you can get one while you're in high school, maybe working at a lawyer's office or your local bookstore during weekends, (even unpaid) anything that's specialized will give you a good idea of what you want to do.

Helpful links to picking a major:
How to Use the Internet to Choose a Major I found this site very helpful in showing you how to use the internet, as well as takes you step by step to a major.
MyMajor Someone recommended this site to me, and it is very helpful. I would really recommend it. Be careful because some of the links don't work.

What do you think is a good way to pick a major? If you have a major, how did you pick it?

4 comments:

  1. It was a bit easier for me to pick my major because I basically excluded all the science/math minded ones by being absolutely horrific at anything remotely science-y or number-based. Me and linear thinking don't get along so well (I tried the science route, it ended in overpaid tutors and a vendetta against all future numbers I may come up against). Arts, though, seems to be working at the moment.

    ReplyDelete